Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Fixin' Whats Broke

Not that I am an expert on Education or Constitutional Law, but if this is the case:

We must also do more to help children when their schools do not measure up. Thanks to the D.C. Opportunity Scholarships you approved, more than 2,600 of the poorest children in our Nation's capital have found new hope at a faith-based or other non-public school. Sadly, these schools are disappearing at an alarming rate in many of America's inner cities. So I will convene a White House summit aimed at strengthening these lifelines of learning. And to open the doors of these schools to more children, I ask you to support a new $300 million program called Pell Grants for Kids. We have seen how Pell Grants help low-income college students realize their full potential. Together, we have expanded the size and reach of these grants. Now let's apply that same spirit to help liberate poor children trapped in failing public schools. (Full Text)

Shouldn't the government try to fix the PUBLIC school and not just fund the religious ones?

6 comments:

Annie said...

What happens to the kids who are left when those who choose to take advantage of "school choice" have done so? Now you have a failing school robbed of its best students. Where is the reason for teachers to succeed?

Reiza said...

I had the exact same thought. I actually yelled that out during the speech. I yelled quite a few other things out as well, but they often contained expletives.

Liberal Jew said...

Reiza, that is way I read his SOTU and not watch it...it is somehow less nasty when he isn't smirking.

Reiza said...

This was actually the first time I listened to a full Bush speech in years. The last time I did, my husband was deployed and seeing that man smirk and hearing his twisted version of the truth drove me over the edge.

This time, I had it on in the other room so that I could hear it, but not actually see him.

So this time, I was only yelling at his words rather than those combined with his self-satisfied expression.

TOR Hershman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
barb michelen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.