Friday, October 12, 2007

Shabbat Idea - October 12, 2007

It is Friday and I am feeling lazy so here is a short Shabbat Thought for October 12, 2007:
Hippy Jews
Orthos Use Liberals…
Oh where have all the Jewish Funders gone? Where have the funders gone? (sing to the tune of “Where have all the flowers gone.”
Supreme Court Miffed Over Nobel Committee’s Ethical Choice
Zionism isn’t an Israeli Thing Any More

So God made a mistake and decided that it would be a stellar idea to flood the earth and start over. While it seemed like a good idea at the time, it can be said that it would be a bit brash and only caused more problems for the best of the worst generation. Noah was a punk that got a good deal because he didn’t really stink. He only sort of stinks. But this gets to the point of apologizing for a mistake.

God screwed up two ways here: 1. God allowed a crappy generation of people to come into existence and 2. God destroyed them without any thought for the possibility of goodness within. (Later Abraham does some fast talking to save a few people, but it is arguable that a different author wanting to make God look “nice” slipped that story in.)

A few months ago I spoke about Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction and attributed this thesis to Ludwig Wittgenstein while really I should have attributed this to Walter Benjamin. While both were Jewish (even though Wittgenstein traded teams), both had similar feelings about the world, they didn’t both write Benjamin’s seminal work and they were not part of the same school of thought.

I was proud of this piece and I still am. In that particular Shabbat Idea I fight for Benjamin's point that because we live in such an age, all believe is suspended and we become more interested in convincing people. No religion just politics. This was the end:
Religion is a reminder of the intent of artistic expression: the establishment of society and hopes for a better situation later on, in life or in death. So as we pause to remember the destruction of society this week, let us remember that it is more than just what a wonderful Shabbat I had with MY friends at OUR minyan this weekend. It should be what a wonderful Shabbat WE had with the all the PEOPLE in the COMMUNITY this weekend. If not we are only taking part in the mechanical reproduction of Shabbat.
I still stand by that idea.

I figured out that I made this mistake about a month ago when I was looking for link I used in the post. I didn't change it because, I was sure no one remembered and wouldn't call me on it if they even read the piece. So I am sorry I screwed up on my historical philosophy and I am sorry I didn't fix it earlier. (It still reads the way it was written and I will not destroy the post.)

While blogging is only a self-absorbed activity where I force my ideas on my willing readership, it shouldn't be a place to get away with things. I learned from our Torah portion this week, that making mistakes is alright, but you need to fix them. I however will not flood the earth due to my lack of editorial controls.

Shabbat Shalom

No comments: