Friday, July 13, 2007

Shabbat Ideas - July 13, 2007

It has been nine months since I started this thing, so here are my Shabbat Thoughts for July 13, 2007.

Self Defense Squads? Kinda like lower case t means time to leave
GI Jew, a real American Hero
Rabbis on Camp Pranks
Great Story on an Old Lady
And I stand by my statement that the Bitel Blog stole this idea from my Shabbat Ideas.

We read the beginning of Jeremiah this week. Jeremiah a prophet during the later part of the 7th century BCE was quite a downer. Nervous that no one would believe his prophecy because of his age, he asked how to prove it and he spoke with God. God told him “Do not say ‘I am only a youth,’ for wherever I send you, you must go; and whatever I command you, you must speak. Have no fear of them for I am with you to keep you safe!” (1:7-8)

Now I can understand that; speaking truth to power is very difficult, especially when you feel you have the mandate of God. As young people we regularly feel empowered to prove the world wrong in the name of the good and the right. How young people often do not let the hand of God touch their mouths and allow it to place words of wisdom upon their lips.

Each week, I read newspapers and blogs looking for things that upset me or drive me to express myself. It is a selfish exploration of my thoughts for the benefit of anyone who virtually stumbles across this blog. My words, in my opinion, are often well planed and to point. I try to stand up to the Kings of the North of our day, working to better our people. But sometimes that is not the case.

My biggest fear for my writing is to be hypocritical. This disgusting practice takes the forms of double standards, bent truth and right out lying. It is rampant in the media. But it is also found here in our little corner of the blogosphere. I worry that I might speak too fast, in favor of getting the story (not like I am source of news but still. I suffer from the instant gratification of self-publication.

I would like to take this opportunity, before we start the month of Av, and apologize for any brash or hypocritical remarks. Because it was because of sinat chinam that the Temple was destroyed (that and a stronger enemy army). I hope I have not added to the pain or anguish of the Jewish people by writing here. To paraphrase a guy I once read about, I will still worry that my blog posts will not be filled with the right words, for I am only a youth. I am still waiting for a response; I don’t think I am going to get one. I am just fine with the silence.

Shabbat Shalom

No comments: