Monday, June 25, 2007

New York State Gay Marriage

On my way to work today I bumped into my newly elected state assemblyman. I wished him congratulations and wished him mazel tov on the equal marriage bill.

He said that he was reduced to tears during the debate and when given the floor for his first speech in the State Assembly chambers he said, "If I am here for 14 more days or 14 more years, this is most likely the most important vote of my life."

I thank him and the others who support civil rights in our great state.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I absolutely agree. The fact that not everyone shares the same rights to marriage and other privileges that go along with it is one of the great American inequities of our time.

Liberal Jew said...

It is great to have access to local pols like that.