Wednesday, January 3, 2007

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

So reading through my wonderful set of Google news alerts – which really should be called Jewoogle news alerts – I see that the omni-brilliant group of ultra-Orthodox rabbis has told women they can no longer attend schools of higher learning. Good times!

Ha’aretz reports that this is a “huge blow” to the economic situation of these communities. WHAT ARE THE MEN THINKING HERE? They are going to have to get jobs and study Torah!?!?! How can that be possible?

But as for the step forward, thanks to the keen news watch of Rabbi Andrew Bachman I read about the fact that Tzipi Livni may make a run for the Prime Minister of Israel. Ynet asks “Is Foreign Minister Livni future leader we've all been waiting for?”

I don’t know perhaps she is the answer to all the problems of Israel…I wonder how she would do if she didn’t have a higher education? Think she could protect the state so people could continue to study and not provide for their family? I doubt it.

No comments: